Wednesday, August 8, 2007

No Home Depot

I am in the incredibly spoiled position of having air conditioning in my room. I sleep with it going every night. The quality of installation, however, wasn’t the greatest, so there was a gap between the window and the air conditioner of up to ¼” in some places.

One of these gaps was with the windowsill below it, so when the air pressure changed there was always grit and dust blowing into my room from the sill. Finally one night I watched from across the room as nearly a dozen mayflies fell from the sill onto my pillow, I knew I couldn’t wait any longer.

But I had no expanding foam to spray in the crack, no little foam rod to push in there and fill up the space. So I did the next best thing and twisted plastic shopping bags into little ropes and stuffed them in there instead.



I know this information is not revolutionary, but for someone who grew up with Home Depots and Targets for every possible need, it is taking some getting used to. And I have been surprisingly please with the results. Unfortunately it is starting to make me question what other things I think I need that I really don't and who knows where that will lead!

2 comments:

kneek said...

Amen to that! There was an article written for the NPH website last week describing the system for filtering water at NPH Honduras. Have you read it? Again, it made me consider how much we have that we don't need.

Nicole said...

Thanks for sending the article! I read it and forwarded it to the other engineer too. It's always easier to adopt technology that other NPH houses already have.