Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thanks to Roberto E. Delgadillo G.

photo assistant

I've mentioned Roberto in many postings, but never really spoke much about him.

I'm not sure if you can read it in what my posts say, or maybe what they don't say, but I'm an extremely private person and generally share emotional things only face to face, and one person at a time.

But, if I stay true to my word, that this blog exists to share my adventure here in Nicaragua with you, it wouldn't be complete without one more heartfelt thank you to Roberto.

How to get your horse to go
Horseback riding on Don and Babe's farm in Costa Rica

It was his ability to listen and laugh with me that made a second year here emotionally possible.

At times when the frustration mounted and I thought I was developing an ulcer from the wringing worry, he would rescue me with understanding and wit.

Petroglyphs at Don and Babe's
Petroglyphs also at Don and Babe's farm.

When I grew weary of the promises of 'tomorrow' that pave the streets of Nicaragua, I always knew I could trust him to do what he said.

amelia toss
Tossing Amelia into the water (she's scared to get in, but loves it once she's there)!

While I grew cynical from years of working with the poor in the US and internationally, he took time to listen to the pitches of the wandering hammock salesman and panhandling neighborhood drug addicts.

He still will buy a hammock now and then knowing he can use it for something someday and support someone's work in the meantime.

Graduation Day
Roberto graduating with his professional license in Banking and Finance (a year long program after a bachelor's degree).

I come from a highly privileged background of stability, love and education. He realized that if he didn't take care of himself, no one else would.

So he pushed himself through high school and went to university on a running scholarship. He studied banking and finance, not because he loved it, but because it was one of the few options he had that he thought he could find work in.

Motorcycle of Doom
Roberto going for a little jog to keep him warm at a 5 AM sunrise photo shoot.

While I did my job which I took just because I wanted to, he worked five or six days a week and did all that was asked of him.

He did everything in or out of his job description which changed almost monthly, from whatever desk he had just been moved to and with all the energy he had because he, like most others here, have so few other options (he was one of seven (out of 37) in his graduating university class who found a job in his field of study).

Hummingbird Hunting
Getting a hummingbird out of the house.

While I sweated and always tried to find the spot with the most breeze in the house, he took care of me, and my laundry, and my dirty dishes (tropical countries are not meant for me, trying to not get too gross, I have to be careful about heat and water on my skin or it cracks, bleeds and falls off too soon all while itching like crazy).

Triky Traka
Lighting fireworks on Christmas Eve.

While I experienced his country for the first time, through new eyes, he helped me interpret what I was seeing. He helped me make sense of so much craziness.

panorama roberto
View from the steps in front of the house on the beach.

Roberto and I met while he was working in the accounting department at NPH Nicaragua.

He has since moved on to bigger and better things and we now have two diverging roads to walk. I hope I have been able to give him a fraction of what he has given me.

For all he has been through with me, it breaks my heart that I won't be here to see how life continues as he takes each unknown day in this uncertain country.

I am forever grateful for all he gave to me. Thank you Roberto...

Different Road

1 comment:

Lance said...

Great post, Nicole. Roberto is a lucky guy to have spent so many hours with you, and likewise, I'm sure you consider yourself lucky to have met him.

The picture of the dog entering the water - toes juuuuust barely touching the water - is a great shot. So many of your photos are really great too.

Best wishes in Wyoming, and I hope you continue to keep in touch. Especially if you make it back to Seattle.

Lance