Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My Next Leap - The New Audacious Adventure

Cloud Peak
Cloud Peak, at 13,167 ft, it is the highest point of the Bighorn Mountains. Johnson County, Wyoming. August 1902

Many of you have been wondering, ceaselessly, day and night, what challenge will she tackle next?!

Or maybe not.

But still, I am here to put your worries to rest, to soothe your anxious speculations.

I am going to be poor. Not really poor, after all I'll have enough food and a safe place to live. But more like food-stamp qualifying poor.

Well, yes, you say, of course after two years at a central American orphanage and the US economy the way it is, you're not going to be rich, tell us something we don't know.

I am going to be a VISTA volunteer with Habitat for Humanity (HfH) in Sheridan, Wyoming which means once again, I have figured out a way to make less than the federal minimum wage! While working full time!

The position is specifically improving the business operations and volunteer management of the HfH construction materials store - the ReStore. In speaking with the director, however, it seems she would also like me to fill in as construction coordinator as I have time and it is needed.

We spoke as well about the possibility of work with the new sustainability committee and supporting the start of a HfH chapter at the local community college.

I'm really excited about getting to combine so many interests: construction, sustainability, education, business and finance, social service... and I am admittedly elated that I can go backpacking in the stunning nearby Bighorn Mountains when the whimsy strikes.

Another year of audacious adventure!

No comments: