Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Too Much Too Quickly

Unpacking

We've all heard about it, we've all complained about it. We've all thought to ourselves, 'well, I probably shouldn't.'

But somehow, just about all of us manage to accumulate incredible quantities of stuff. Some call it affluenza, others call it the American way.

And in the process of aquiring and maintaining, it can get in the way of living.

My grandparents are having difficulty paring down their posessions to move from their three bedroom home of 24 years into a two bedroom apartment in their retirement village.

I had to leave almost half of my things in Nicaragua after only two years because I didn't want to pay for more than one 50 pound suitcase. I had taken two suitcases there, but managed to accumulate as much as I used up.

With the recession, sales statistics clearly show that people aren't spending as much money, but have we, as a country, truly changed our ways to avoid repeating what brought us here in the first place?

It doesn't seem like it.

What do you think? And more importantly, what are you going to do (or not do) about it?

No comments: