Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Burger

Ok, it’s been 5 ½ years since I’ve eaten a hamburger made of meat. A little unusual to count, yes, but I was a vegetarian for 5 of those years, so it’s a little simpler when you don’t eat meat at all to know how long it’s been.

I decided when I knew that I was moving to Nicaragua, that I couldn’t continue being 100% vegetarian. Rice and beans are my diet most days, so I still don’t eat much meat, but I broke the embargo with organic chicken curry back in the States right before I left.

Still I wondered if what I remembered a burger tasted like was what they actually taste like. And when I went to the tourist town of Granada which has a number of little restaurants with American food, I had my opportunity. Cafe D'Arte, one block east of the Central Park.


It was good…. and it does taste like I remember!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time...

Wim said...

It may be a little like looking at your own eye, but I was wondering... What is it like for people around you when you take pictures everywhere you go? Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that you include so many pictures with your blog. But, I wondered especially when you offered a picture of hamburger fixings and implied that it was taken at a little restaurant in Granada. If I was the cook I might be thinking "what is that gringa doing with my hamburger?" or "I wonder if she's going to print that picture in the New York Times and I'll be famous" or maybe it doesn't evoke a second thought.

Catherine Chandler said...

Yeah, kangaroo in Australia broke my vegetarian days (6 years).

Nicole said...

Bacon really does it for me, though, after so many years of not eating meat, I never stopped craving bacon. There are some days where I'll happily have it at breakfast, lunch and dinner!