Monday, February 12, 2007

Switch gears!

Ok, SLIGHT change in plans.

After the delay in Bolivia, I wasn't sure quite what would happen. So I did the only thing I knew to do, begin working on it some more.

I found an opportunity I thought I would be well equipped for working as the connection between groups visiting from the US and the local Habitat for Humanity affiliates in Honduras. This position required a six month commitment, however, and I was worried that it might overlap with another organization I was hoping to work with later this year, Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos, which has orphanages in eight different Latin American countries.

So I contacted NPH and asked them if I was committed elsewhere for six months if that would count me out for the beginning of construction on the orphanage in Nicaragua. They came back and said... how about you start in March?

It was a huge relief to hear, not only because I finally have someplace (safe) to go, but NPH is a wonderful organization that is both incredibly professional and caring. They have answers to my questions and they really have a need for what I know.

As a little introduction - NPH is a catholic organization that began in the 50's by an American priest in Mexico. It takes orphaned and abandoned children in the communities surrounding each orphanage. The children are not up for adoption as the orphanage feels that they have already had enough disruption in their lives. This also allows the children to stay and contribute to their communities in a way that many Latin American countries desperately need. For more info, their website is www.nph.org. I also have a video on NPH Nicaragua if you would like me to email it to you.

So I'll be flying to Cuernavaca, Mexico on March 3rd. I'll get to know NPH International (that's where their offices are), the Project Manager, the plans for the project (which are in the design stage) and go to language school for 4 weeks (I need to know more than "where is your hardhat?!").

After that I'll fly to Managua, Nicaragua and be at the orphanage in Granada. The new property is in Jimotepe, so I'll be spending a fair amount of time there as well. NPH and I are in the process of figuring out exactly how I can best contribute, but initially I'll be doing the same things I've been for the last several years, pricing with subcontractors, getting familiar with the plans, that sort of thing.

Even though my initial responsibilities won't be totally new, I have no doubt that it will all be challenging enough to keep me happy.

Thank you all for your prayers and support through this time. It's been quite the little rollercoaster, especially this past month. I knew that this was the right step for me at this point in my life, but I also knew I was stepping off into the unknown. I had hope that it would turn out well, but it's even nicer to know that it will turn out well.

1 comment:

Pokhra said...

NPH is a wonderful organization. My only note of caution is that Leah volunteered for NPH in Haiti and wound up meeting her future husband there - me!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I look forward to photos and more details of your job and the construction process. Either here or in separate emails. Whichever is easier for you.

Be well. Travel safe. Have fun.

Lance