Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Central American Youth Championship

campeonato centro Americano Costa Rica 09 004
Raylinds with his mother and little sister waiting for the bus to the competition.

On the 28th of November, the Nicaraguan delegation went with their best youth athletes to the Central American Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica.

Among these athletes was Raylinds, a small and thin athlete from Rivas. With much work, discipline and training, he had already conquered the first hurdle to qualify for this competition.

Raylinds: I felt very excited and happy to represent my country in this competition. I was very nervous because it was my first time in a central American championship. My trainer had told me that the competition would be fierce, but I was prepared to win a medal.

Everything was a new experience for me. It was the first time I left Nicaragua, and was away from my family for 4 days. In the city of San Jose, Costa Rica everything was different, the food, the way the buildings looked, I had no idea how it would be in another country.

campeonato centro Americano Costa Rica 09 104
Competition track in Costa Rica.

Roberto: The day of the competition arrived and the javelin event had 8 participants. Raylinds was fifth and in his last throw of 6 tries, he threw a distance of 42.81 meters and secured a third place finish to win a medal for Nicaragua. He yelled with happiness, it was a feeling he couldn’t describe.

Nicaragua took third place among all the countries in the competition (Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala). Now we will begin preparation for the new year as we will continue to achieve goals and to represent our country in future championships.

campeonato centro Americano Costa Rica 09 096
Raylinds (on right) with his medal.

No comments: